6/18/2008

Driver Profile: Anders Krohn

Until about three months ago, very few in the US junior formula world knew the name Anders Krohn. Since that time, the Norwegian driver has made a name for himself in a big way. The 20-year-old, who currently resides in Florida, has won 4 out of the last 6 F2000 races. In fact, as mentioned last week, Anders has been so dominant this year that he has only been outside the top two spots twice (this includes every on track session in the 2008 season). Just last weekend he set a new track record at Watkins Glen.

Krohn started living the dream at a mere three and a half years of age. His parents bought him a go-kart and allowed him to run endlessly until his first official race at the age of eight. In developing his car control, the young driver could be found running laps on an ice covered race track. The frigid temperatures didn't stop him from further developing his race craft. Anders spent most of his youth in a direct drive kart, emphasizing smoothness. After several championships, including the Formula A Norwegian Championship, Anders moved into the gearbox world of shifter karts. In his first year of ICC competition, he won 50% of his races enroute to becoming the youngest driver to win the ICC Scandinavian Championship.

In 2006, Anders decided to make the transition from karts to cars by entering the JTCC series. He used the experience as a transitioning year, learning to drive a production based car prior to making the jump to a Formula Ford. He signed on with Vuik Racing to drive a Mygale SJ07, running in several Formula Ford Championships during the 2007 season. It was at this point that Anders realized he had a real shot at a professional racing career. He posted some very solid results and worked endlessly on his marketing program, contacting several teams before deciding on his next step. It wasn't until his test at Sebring with Anderson Racing that he decided to come state side and run the F2000 Championship.

For those looking for a little more detail, I've added a short Q&A session with the driver prospect himself; Anders Krohn.

Anders Krohn Q & A

Junior Open Wheel Talent Blog


JOWT: Your website states that you started racing at 3.5 years of age, how did you initially start racing?

AK: It all started with me getting an opportunity to sit in a Gokart when I was about 2. When it was time to get out, I didn’t want to, and my parents quickly saw that I had been bitten by the racing bug. My father had previously raced karts, so him and my mother got me my first Gokart when I was 3.5 years old. My first race, however, was not until I was 8.

JOWT: You spent most of your karting years developing in the direct drive ICA ranks, how was the transition to the gearbox ICC class?

AK: The transition went very well, and it was mainly down to my coach, Walter van Lent. He was my mechanic at my very first ICC race, and he is still my driver coach/mentor. The biggest difference is that you have front brakes in ICC, compared to the direct drive karts back then (These days, most karts in Europe have front brakes). There are also some other different tricks to it, but if you drive a direct drive kart well, chances are you will do well for yourself in the ICC arena as well.

JOWT: At what point did you know you were going to pursue car racing?

AK:
I had always dreamed of racing cars, but realized it would be a long, hard route to get there. When I graduated from High School in 2006, I decided to stay away from College for one year to see if I could get together a budget for an open wheel racing season. It worked out, and in 2007 I drove the Dutch&Benelux Formula Ford Championships.

JOWT: Do you foresee yourself moving into the sports car ranks down the road?

AK:
I am open to all opportunities that may arise in the future. Sports car racing looks to be on the up, and it is definitely a valid option. Time will show.

JOWT: How did you decide on racing in the US F2000 Championship?

AK: I felt that I wasn’t going very far with my tight budget in Europe, so I tried to look elsewhere. I got talking to Andersen Racing which runs cars in the Formula 2000, Star Mazda and Indy Lights Championships. I tested for them in January at Sebring, and quickly thereafter I signed for them. I am really happy where I’ve ended up this season, and hopefully I can keep my Championship lead.

JOWT: I’ve read that you have really worked hard to come up with the necessary funding to make this season a possibility. Can you tell me a little about that?

AK: Ever since I graduated from High School, raising sponsorship has been my full time job. It has been hard work, but very rewarding. I am now in my second season of open wheel racing, and it’s being funded by my sponsors. I’ve also learned a great bunch, and have found out to some extent how to put together marketing and event packages for companies of different sizes and needs. I would like to add a thank you to my main sponsors Trallfa Industries, Colosseum Dental and Kruse Smith. They make it happen!

JOWT: Congratulations on your success so far this season. You have really opened some eyes in the junior formula world. Can you give us any insight into your future racing plans?

AK: Thank you, I appreciate that. I would love to carry on racing, and where I will end up next year or in five years for that matter, I don’t know. I will keep on working with my corporate sponsors, and see what possibilities there are. My aim is to win and to be the best no matter where or what I drive.

No comments: