11/30/2008

Cole Whitt Wins USAC Midget Championship

Normally, I wouldn't cover USAC racing (stricly due to the broad nature of my current content), but I feel this story is worth mentioning. Seventeen-year-old Cole Whitt claimed the 2008 USAC National Midget Car Championship on Thursday night in Irwindale. I have seen Whitt drive first hand on several occasions in the karting ranks and he never failed to impress. This is a huge victory for the Alpine, California native, who just became the youngest ever USAC Midget National Champion. He beat out Tracy Hines by one point to claim the overall championship, finishing 11th in the Turkey Night Grand Prix.

While developing in the karting ranks, Cole Whitt was named 2003 Shifter Kart Illustrated Young Driver of the Year, 2004 Super Kart Illustrated Young Driver of the Year, and 2005 Super Kart Illustrated Rising Star. I would say they hit the nail on the head.
(photo: http://www.colewhitt.com)

No comments: