4/29/2008

Frankie Muniz: A Professional?

Actor Frankie Muniz (Malcolm in the Middle) is the perfect example of what's wrong with open wheel racing today. He has a lot of money and because of that, he thinks he's a professional race car driver. Of course his financial situation has nothing to do with his "efforts". He hasn't won a race since the 2005 celebrity race in Long Beach. Note the word celebrity, not pro in the last sentence. I find this interesting considering his comments at 1:48 of this video, where he seems to have forgotten that he won the celebrity race. According to People magazine, Muniz wants more of a challenge and states,

"I don't want to sound conceited, but I don't think there has been an actor or celebrity-turned-racecar driver that has made it as high up on the racecar circuit as I have," he says. "So I don't think there's anyone who can keep up with me. And that's just me being honest.

"I want to race Michael Schumacher, seven-time world champion. And I can compete with him.".
In fairness to Frankie, I do admire his passion for racing and his persistence. Let's just hope he takes his time in his Atlantic Championship development, rather than just moving on as he did in Formula BMW.

No comments: